In 2024 the KS2 SATs will take place between Monday 13th May - Thursday 16th May 2024. Over this period pupils will sit 6 different tests, with English taking place at the beginning of the week and maths at the end.
- Monday: Spelling, punctuation and grammar (Grammar/Punctuation Test) – 45 minutes
- Monday: Spelling, punctuation and grammar (Spelling Test) – 20 minutes
- Tuesday: Reading Test – 60 minutes
- Wednesday: Maths Paper 1 (Arithmetic) – 30 minutes
- Wednesday: Maths Paper 2 (Reasoning) – 40 minutes
- Thursday: Maths Paper 3 (Reasoning) – 40 minutes
The children will sit their tests under exam conditions but they will be in the classroom and school hall and will have school staff on hand to make them feel comfortable. The aim is that your child starts each test feeling as relaxed and comfortable as possible. We are doing lots of practise at school to ensure the children feel prepared - please encourage them to do their best but also reiterate this is not something that they should be worried about and help them to be as calm as possible. Children will only perform at their best when they are happy and calm.
Where can I find extra resources?
On the Y6 home page, click on the tabs entitled 'Y6 revision'. These include extra activities your child can be doing at home if they would like to.
How can I best help my child?
- Please do not put any stress/worry on your child. The staff at school are experienced in ensuring your child does their best and they can only do this if they feel happy and relaxed. If your child is worried, perhaps by something they have heard, reassure them that we all care that they do their best and love them no matter what.
- Encourage your child to read widely and to recall key maths facts quickly (times tables, doubles and halves, measure facts e.g. 100cm in 1m.)
- Help your child with their homework
- Encourage your child to complete extra practises if there is something they are less confident with - make use of Youtube tutorials and MyMaths lessons.
What happens in each test?
The KS2 Reading SATs:
- This is one paper, with questions that are based on 3 different passages of text. Pupils will have 1 hour to complete the paper.
The KS2 SPaG SATs:
- There is a 20 word aural spelling test which should last around 15 minutes.
- There is also a written element which consists of an English grammar and punctuation paper, which will last for 45 minutes.
The KS2 Maths SATs:
- There will be 3 mathematics papers.
- Paper 1 is an arithmetic paper which will last for 30 minutes.
- Papers 2 and 3 are reasoning papers which will last for 40 minutes each
For further information, examples of the tests can be found at the bottom of the page.
When do the KS2 SATs results 2024 come out?
Standards and Testing Agency will release the KS2 SATs results 2024 to schools in July 2024. Your child will receive details of their result on their school report.